Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Komen Race for the Cure






10/10/10 was a monumental day in my fitness progression. I ran 3.2 miles in 00:29:43. That, my friends, is a miracle in itself. In 1996, I graduated Army Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training, despite having Class II and III stress fractures in both legs, knees, and hips, and a knee that I had dislocated 3 times during training. I permanently injured my left knee 14 years ago, and never thought I'd run again. Consecutive years later, I was given an alternate PT test for Army Reserves. Instead of the 2 mile run 00:18:48, I had to do the 2.5 mile walk in 00:30:00. Fast forward to 2010; my fitness ability has reached levels greater than it's ever been, even while in the Army. Despite my love for the Army, I never LOVED doing PT or working out. It was a pain, literally, and a punishment. I decided in September 2010 that I was going to run the Komen Race instead of walk. I started increasing my training and every day ran further and further without stopping.

Race day was exciting. I was nervous, but I tried to focus. I stretched my legs for an hour before we hit the trail. I meditated and prayed. I relaxed, and mentally prepared myself. We started off slow and steady, with Jerry and his dad running behind me. I never faltered. I never even thought of quitting. I was thrilled that my body (especially my knees) didn't give out on me, or cause me pain. As I ran, I thought of my friend Rae who died of breast cancer. I thought of my friend Beth, who texted me right before the race, "DO IT FOR THE FAT GIRLS!" I thought of my dad, the former runner, who gave me so much strength when I was in Army Basic Training, and I thought of my husband who has been so supportive throughout my transformation. The comaradere was amazing. Seeing the Survivors Parade before the race made me cry, and I choked back sobs as they walked through the pink balloon archway. I can't wait to run again next year!!!

1 comment:

  1. I felt the some of the same things when i ran the Komen race in October. I prayed that my knee would hold under the strain of the race since Ive never done this before. Didn't know anyone who did of breast cancer but I did know people who died of cancer and I did that for them. I find it amazing the way you find strength to do something when you put your mind to it. I don't say this to just anyone but I think your amazing and you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete