Sunday, August 8, 2010

Caloric Intake- Need to Step it UP

I recently came across the caloric intake formula used by the Insanity program. My friend Yvette sent it to me, and I did the algebra to figure out what I should be consuming. I HAD been working out 6x a week, up until last week, since my year long gym contract ended, and money's been tight with the new house, I haven't renewed it. I have been doing 10 mile bike rides instead, though; I am building up my cardio stamina on the bike in preparation for the triathlon next year. I am going to renew my gym membership in September so I can continue to swim and lift weights, and ride my bike at home.

Calorie Formula
Energy required to maintain your current weight:
655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in yrs)=
Basal Energy Expenditure
Now multiply that # by 1.55 for 3-5 days of exercise or 1.77 for 6-7 days a week
Finally, deduct 500 calories a day for weight loss

Here's the formula with my numbers plugged in:
655 + (4.35 x153) + (4.7 x 64) - (4.7 x 32) = 1470.95 Basal Energy Expenditure (the amount of calories I need to sustain life and current weight, without factoring in exercise)

1470 x 1.77= 2603.5815 - 500 = 2103 (The amount of calories I need to sustain life and lose weight at the current rate I am exercising)

What??? This is news to me. I have been eating between 1400-1600 calories. This definitely explains why I have plateaued. I have been losing inches, gaining muscle, and getting smaller in physical size, but the weight on the scale definitely has been stagnant. My body thinks I am starving. It is not going to allow me to lose any more weight unless I feed it more!

The increase of calories doesn't mean I get to "eat whatever I want," or down a bunch of junk food. The concept is simple: increase the amount of complex carbohydrates and wholesome foods I already do eat: sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, whole grain breads, pasta, rice, and oats.

I finally bought steel cut oats and quinoa from the health food store last week. They are both protein-filled hot grain cereals and are delicious. I will NEVER again be able to eat rolled oats, or "instant oatmeal" again. It's unbelievable the difference whole grains make when you get used to them. I have been being extremely conscious of including and increasing the complex carbs in my meals, and have been doing well, except for these last few days. I seem to get out of my routine on Fridays when I am off work, and on the weekends, where I either don't eat enough, or I eat too many simple carbs or high sugar foods. When I do that, I notice immediate water weight gain. However, I have kept the 50 lbs off for over a year now. Monday - Thursday I do very well because I am at work, I pack my lunch, and I make a point to eat every 2 hours. Here's a sample of what I have been eating:

8 am: Steel cut oats and strawberries & blueberries w/Truvia
10 am: Oikos Greek yogurt and raspberries w/Truvia
12 pm: a plum or 1/2 c cherries
1 pm: spring greens, carrots, snow peas, broccoli slaw salad w/tuna, sunflower seeds and ranch dressing. Sweet potato w/olive oil based butter, Truvia and cinnamon.
3 pm: 24 raw almonds, whole wheat toast w/almond or sun butter
5 pm: work out and protein shake w/almond milk
7 pm Dinner: varies chicken, fish, 97% lean ground beef w/cauliflower, asparagus or brussels sprouts, & 1/2 c brown rice

Notably, this weekend, (during the meals I didn't fall off the wagon), I have been eating 4 or 5 egg white omelettes w/cheese, bell pepper, onion and turkey bacon, w/ a bowl of steel cut oats w/strawberries and blueberries, and Oikos greek yogurt for breakfast, tuna w/hardboiled egg on whole wheat and flax bread for lunch w/ a side of carrots and cherries, and steak w/sweet potato for dinner.

Today, I am going to the baseball game and will likely eat a hot dog. Tomorrow is my niece's 1st birthday, and I will probably eat some cake. But it's ok. I am not a yo-yo dieter. I changed my LIFE and habits. It's ok to indulge a little from time to time.

On a side note: the blood work results from my physical came in on Friday. All tests came back NORMAL. This is a blessing. In May '08 when I had my physical, I was borderline high blood pressure, borderline high cholestrol, and pre-diabetic!! In '09, all my results came back normal, as well, due to 20 lb weight loss at the time.

1 comment:

  1. My BodyBugg program does all of the calculations for me of my current weight, what i want to weigh, what i want to lose per week and gives me what my deficit should be (intake vs burned) -- it set me at eating (i believe) 2100 calories and burning 3600 per day -- which seemed like a LOT to me.

    By this calculation above, I should be intaking 2646. Again, that is a LOT. Geebus! I don't know if I can do that. Even the 2100 was high and difficult and I lowered it down a bit to 1700 (and 3200 burned - you can't change the deficit without changing how many lbs you want to lose per week).

    I'll let you know how this method works out. I assume BodyBugg knows what they're doing, right?

    ReplyDelete