Monday, August 9, 2010

Don't Cheat your Body

"DON'T CHEAT YOUR BODY!" was something the Drill Sergeants loved to scream at me. I especially loved how DS Diaz-de-Leon ordered me to immediately go into the push up position whenever she stepped foot in the room, or into our formation. This was, of course, for my own good. I found it difficult to comprehend what I now know about health and fitness, as I was going through Drill Sergeant forced and induced agony and pain, and in the beginning, I was OUT OF SHAPE. At the time, I was struggling. But by not ALWAYS giving it my all, I was cheating my body. By "just wanting it to end," by not embracing the exercise for what it was, and by not pushing myself over the threshold, I was punishing my body. In the midst of it all, I couldn't see the difference. However, it is very easy to want to do the bare minumum when you have Drill Sergeants constantly on your case, you are practically dying of heat stroke, and you are beyond exhausted. As time went on, and I built up stamina, strength, and skills, I began to understand; if you don't push yourself, you never improve. If you don't do more than you did the last time, you don't make progress. If you don't test yourself mentally, you will never learn discipline.

Have you ever had a (temporary) slacker attitude during your workout and give it less than your all? While lifting weights, have you ever decided to skip the last set because you are bored, tired, hot, "not feeling it?"? How about when you are running and you decide to walk the rest of the way because you "just don't wanna?"? I'll admit I have had episodes like these. In those times of weakness, I remember what my Drill Sergeants used to say, and I quickly change my attitude. My most recent "don't cheat your body" moment came today when I had already ridden 10 miles and thought, "I'm going to take the shortcut home." I tried to justify it because I HAD already ridden 10 miles. For a split second, I thought "I'm done." But I only had a 1/8 of a mile left to go to finish the trail before I would turn around anyway for the home stretch. The "I'm hot, tired, hungry, and sore" part of me wanted to quit. Luckily THAT part of me isn't the dominant part!! I remembered, "DON'T CHEAT YOUR BODY, CHAVEZ!" and I pushed on. I beat my all time record and rode 12.82 miles in 1:25, and burned 702 calories.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your story...I agree, if you don't push yourself, you will never improve...Thank You for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I love this! I have been (essentially) thinking the same things while going through my fitness bootcamp -- sure, I could just do 20 of those 25 reps that I'm supposed to do, nobody is over my shoulder counting them or anything, but who is that going to affect? ONLY ME! I need to get the most out of these workouts and the only person I would be cheating is myself.

    You are VERY inspiring to me while I am going through a similar journey. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete