Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Change Does the Body Good

I have been a member of my gym for over a year now. It is the type of place that borders on resort type amenities. We have the racquetball privileges, for when my hubby feels like playing, there's of course the pool, and all the usual gym equipment. I have begun to realize, what my money is actually going towards every month ($97, mind you!), is the "healthy happy hour" every week, the "family day" BBQs, the luaus, the big screen TV in the weight room, the shampoo/conditioner and folded towels in the locker room, and the "let's all get together and watch a movie at the pool," evenings. Um. A whole lot of crap I have never taken part in. And a waste of money. As much as I am wishing to train for a triathlon, I know I WILL not swim in the fall or winter. My muscles do not respond well being submerged in icy cold water, surrounded by cold air. The only reason I have been keeping our membership at the current gym is because of my supposed desire to have the use of a pool at my disposal.

Last week, hubby informed me he saw a sign for Planet Fitness: "$10 down, $10 a month." Sounds too good to be true, right? NOPE!! I went inside the brand new location (right down the street from our house), and was happily surprised by the beautiful new equipment, the relaxed, low-key environment, and the "NO JUDGEMENT ZONE," signs everywhere. First thing I noticed was the FIFTY treadmills in the facility!! Wow. I was greeted by down to earth employees, who didn't act like their only job is to play the "numbers game," - aka, quota, like I experienced at my old gym, and at the physical therapist's a few years ago. Planet Fitness has several different machines I have never used before, and there's a personal trainer who is available to help ANYONE who asks. My old gym had trainers who would ONLY speak to or help their OWN clients. PF also is against the "meat market" and the "lunks" at other gyms. They are all about you fitting in and feeling comfortable with your workout.

Since last Friday, I started a new routine at a new gym, and I feel great. I am now doing mixed HIIT, with flat surface running, uphill sprinting, as well as uphill walking (15% incline) up to 2 miles, for 30 minutes, and an hour of weight lifting in one session. I LOVE the new (to me) machines for obliques, abs, and glutes. I am proud to say I have been doing assisted pull ups and using proper technique (keeping my back straight) during the row exercise. I mention this because I saw a guy using improper technique and who was probably gonna throw his back out at any moment. I wanted to say something, but I hesitate to sound like a goody two shoes. I minded my own business and continued to remember the old saying about weight lifting: "quality not quantity," and made sure to keep proper form, and fully extend my arms or legs in the exercise, and get all of what I can out of it.

Today was my day to have ONE cheat, moreover, metabolism re boost meal. I ate at Bob's Burgers, and had a Dairy Queen Blizzard afterwards. As much as I thought I was looking forward to it, I felt AWFUL after eating it. Not mentally, as in guilt, but physically. My body reacts to "bad food" so differently now, and it just doesn't have the same appeal once I actually do eat it. Think about it like this: I only had ONE meal off of my "regular" food list this week, and I couldn't wait to get back to my pure, wholesome food. I know, though, eating off my diet once a week is as important as sticking to it the rest of the week, and changing up my exercise regimen often. I have learned that as easy as it is to get comfortable with the same routine or foods, it's just as important to "shock the system," with a meal that's totally off the diet, or with exercise that's completely different from what I've been doing. Especially with as long as I have been doing this; I have to deviate from the "norm" about every month.

Here's to looking forward to more great PF experiences and continued improvement in my health and fitness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment