Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cardio Alone Won't Bring the Numbers

I have been getting into my groove again, as last week I had to miss out on the gym everyday. Frannie joined me on Sunday, and showed her how to lift weights on the machines. We had a great time! Monday and Tuesday I went to the gym, and Wednesday I rode my bike. I noted and documented my mileage & calories burned on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday I did 2.15 miles of HIIT for 30 min and then lifted weights for 30 min. Wednesday I rode my bike 7.75 miles in 1 hour. Here's where it gets interesting: On Tuesday, I kept my heart rate monitor on a total of 4 hours. After 1 hour I had burned 520 calories. By the 4th hour, I was at 1,272. Wednesday, after 1 hour, I was at 471 calories and by the 3rd hour (when I took it off), I was at 906 calories. So, by not lifting weights, I cheated myself out of burning 200-300 calories!!! (I know there's a differential because of having the HR monitor on for 4 hours one day and 3 hours another, but I'm not that math savvy! The point being, I really burned more by doing less on Tuesday.) I am working towards doing a 20 mile bike ride, so the more miles I do, the better for strength and stamina. But, pure numbers speak the truth. I am reminded by some useful info I got from my friend the bodybuilder: If you wanna lose "weight" do cardio because it burns fat. Weight lifting burns fat and builds muscle, which in turn burns fat. Muscle weighs more than fat and certainly looks better! Sounds like a win-win to me! I have never wanted to be skinny or shapeless. I want to be lightly muscular and toned with a healthy body fat percentage.
I'm on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment