Sunday, July 4, 2010

Revelation

I forgot to add that in discussing my weight loss with my doctor, I found out I am not consuming enough calories, which would explain why I have seemingly plateaued again. I went through this last May when I was stuck at 175 lbs. I was told by my friend, who's the body builder, if you've created/developed a high metabolism, you are working out fiercely, AND not consuming enough calories, your body begins to think you are STARVING- (LIKE 3RD WORLD COUNTRY STARVING), and won't let you lose weight no matter what you do. I have been eating 1,300-1,400 calories religiously, (except for when I fall off the wagon occasionally), 100g of carbohydrates, and 130g of protein. Apparently, I should be more in the 1,600-1,800 calorie range since I burn over 1,000 just in working out for an hour, and around 1,000 in an 8 hour period at work. Since I occasionally wear my chest strap heart rate monitor at work, I know this is true. The calorie counter app I use on my phone is phenomenal, and it really helps me be accountable and accurate. I scan bar codes found on food, and it pulls up the nutrition data. For other things that don't have labels, I am able to search the database and input what I have eaten. It breaks the day up into breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I can also put activities into the exercise log, and do daily weigh ins. So, my most recent meals are the following:


1 cup Almond milk, whey protein, 1 tbs almond butter, 1/2 c raspberries
Lower Sugar Instant Oatmeal
1 c coffee
Spring Mix salad, broccoli slaw, low fat ranch, 1 can specialty tuna marinated in lemon dill olive oil
8 oz Voskos plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 c raspberries
1 plum
24 raw almonds

Dinner varies, but usually it is 6 oz of chicken, steak, turkey, or fish. 8 oz or more of spinach or collard greens.

I now need to add more complex carbs to my diet. Upon my research, I have come up with this list of totally acceptable and palatable foods, which I already have and eat, just not enough of:

multi grain bread
oatmeal
sweet potato
brown rice
lentils
asparagus
cabbage
broccoli
brussels sprouts
eggplant
apples
strawberries
pears
carrot
cauliflower
kidney beans
pinto beans
dried apricots

Due to the rise in obesity and diabetes, carbs have been given a bad name, but what people don't realize is the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. I do understand the difference; however, I have just not been eating enough. Adding calories to my diet is key; complex carbs is the only way to go. "Complex carbohydrates stabilize the blood sugar, keep your energy at an even level, and help you feel satisfied longer after a meal." (www.HowToThinkThin.com)

1 comment:

  1. I learn so much from you. You are no doubt helping me seek myself.

    ReplyDelete